Sunday, October 31, 2021

Work for food that endures to eternal life

Sunday 2021.10.31

In my New Testament reading today, I read chapters 5 and 6 of the Gospel according to John.

In John chapter 6 verses 27 to 29, our Lord Iesus told the crowds of people who came to him for more food after he had fed 5,000 of them with five loaves and two fish on the previous day, not to work for food that perishes but instead for food that brings about eternal life. When the people asked him what kind of work this is, Iesus replied, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent".

John 6:27 - 29 NRSV New Revised Standard Version
27Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.’ 28Then they said to him, ‘What must we do to perform the works of God?’ 29Jesus answered them, ‘This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.’

Further on in verses 47 to 51, our Lord told the Jews who were murmuring against him that he is the living bread that came down from heaven, and that whoever believes in him has eternal life.

John 6:47 - 51 NRSV
47Very truly, I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48I am the bread of life. 49Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live for ever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.’

Over the last nine years, I have written my observations about the words of our Lord Iesus in John chapter 6 in my devotional blog, links below:

Brothers and Sisters in the Lord Iesus the Anointed One, let us work for food that endures to eternal life. Let us hold fast to our belief in our Lord Iesus, the Living Bread from Heaven, whom God has sent.