Sunday, October 3, 2021

Sacrifices and Offerings Thou didst not desire

Sunday 2021.10.03 11:22 hrs

This morning, as I was reading through Psalms 31 to 41, I was reminded of a well known passage in Psalm 40.

Psalm 40:6 - 8 is a Messianic prophecy, foretelling the coming of the Anointed One of God, who delights to do the will of His God by giving up his body as the sacrifice for all sins.

Being translated from the Masoretic texts, the KJV, like most English Translations, render Psalm 40:6 as "Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened . . ."

Psalm 40:6 - 8 KJV
6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, 8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

However, in the Septuagint, from which many verses are quoted in the New Testament, Psalm 40:6 (which is Psalm 39:7 in LXX) says, "Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me . . ."

Psalm 39:7 - 9 LXX Brenton
7 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require.
8 Then I said, Behold, I *come: in the volume of the book it is written concerning me,
9 I desired to do thy will, O my God, and thy law in the midst of mine heart.

The prophecy that "a body thou has prepared me" is quoted in the New Testament in Hebrews 10:5-9, where it is explained that God has taken away the first covenant of sacrifices and burnt offerings, and has established the second covenant of a single once-for-all-sacrifice - the sacrifice of the body of His Anointed one.

Hebrews 10:5 - 9 KJV
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.