Sunday, October 3, 2021

Behold my Servant

Sunday 2021.10.03 11:04 hrs

For my NT reading today, I read the Gospel of Matthew chapters 12 and 13 using the Bible in Basic English. Tomorrow I will continue with Matthew 14 using the World English Bible.

In Matthew chapter 12, we read the account of the Pharisees meeting together to discuss how to destroy our Lord Iesous after our Lord healed a man of his withered hand in their synagogue on a Sabbath Day. Being aware of the Pharisees' council, our Lord withdrew from that place. Great crowds followed him, and he healed them all, charging them not to make him known.

Our Lord's quiet retreat from his enemies and his secret healing of all who followed him is described by Matthew in verses 18 to 21 as the fulfilment of the prophecy of Isaiah 42:1 - 3 and Isaiah 11:10.

Matthew 12:18 - 21 Bible in Basic English
18 See my servant, the man of my selection, my loved one in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit on him, and he will make my decision clear to the Gentiles.
19 His coming will not be with fighting or loud cries; and his voice will not be lifted up in the streets.
20 The crushed stem will not be broken by him; and the feebly burning light will he not put out, till he has made righteousness overcome all.
21 And in his name will the Gentiles put their hope.
Isaiah 42:1 - 3 KJV
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
Isaiah 11:10 KJV
And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

It is noteworthy that our Lord's fulfilment of the prophecy of Isaiah in "not with fighting nor loud cries" and in "crushed stem not be broken by him" results in the Gentiles putting their hope in Him.

Yes, the earthly ministry of the Lord Iesous is a ministry for the whole world. God has put His Spirit on the Lord Iesous to show his judgment to the Gentiles. In His Name will the Gentiles put their hope.

"Behold my servant . . . ", Isaiah 42:1 says. Let us behold our Lord, the Servant of God, in whom God delights, and upon whom God has put His Spirit. Let us put our hope in our Lord Iesous.