Tuesday, May 31, 2022

The Anointed One has come to do the will of his God

In Hebrews chapter 10, the author explains that the coming of Iesus the Anointed One into this world has been prophesied in two parts. Quoting Psalm 39:7 - 9 from the Septuagint (Psalm 40:6 - 8 KJV), in the voice of the Anointed One, these two stages are:

  1. God does not desire sacrifices and offerings. Instead, God has prepared a body for His Anointed
  2. His Anointed One has come to do the will of his God.
Hebrews 10:5 - 7  WEB  World English Bible
5 Therefore when he comes into the world, he says, 'Sacrifice and offering you didn't desire, But a body did you prepare for me;
6 In whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin you had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, 'Behold, I have come (In the scroll of the book it is written of me) To do your will, God.''

The prophecies mentioned in the Hebrews chapter 10 above are quoted from the Septuagint, Psalm 39 (which corresponds to KJV Psalm 40). Both passages from Septuagint and KJV are shown below for comparison.

Psalm 39:7 - 9  LXX  Septuagint Brenton
7 Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not; but a body hast thou prepared me: whole-burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin thou didst not require.
8 Then I said, Behold, I *come: in the volume of the book it is written concerning me,
9 I desired to do thy will, O my God, and thy law in the midst of mine heart.
Psalm 40:6 - 8  KJV  King James Version
6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Hebrews 10:7 also reminds me of the words of our Lord Iesus in reply to his disciples in John chapter 4:

John 4:34  WEB  World English Bible
Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work.

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One. Let us ponder over this great sacrifice, the once-for-all giving of the body of our Lord Iesus who has come to do the will of his God — that the world may be saved.