Saturday, May 21, 2022

The Name of YHWH shall be great among the Gentiles

Today, in my reading of Malachi, the last book in the Old Testament, I came across two reminders of the promised Kingdom of God.

The first reminder comes from Malachi chapter 1 where, in verse 11, the prophet records the word of the LORD telling the people of Edom that His Name shall be great among the Gentiles, "from the rising of the sun until its setting".

Malachi 1:11  NWB  Noah Webster Bible
For from the rising of the sun even to the setting of the same,
my name shall be great among the Gentiles;
and in every place incense shall be offered to my name,
and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen,
saith the LORD of hosts.

This prophecy about Gentiles giving glory to the Name of the LORD is also written in Psalm 113. In verses 3 and 4, the psalmist writes that "from the rising of the sun to its going down" the Name of the LORD is to be praised, and that the LORD is high above ALL nations.

Psalm 113:3 - 4  KJV  King James Version
From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same
the LORD's name is to be praised.
The LORD is high above all nations,
and his glory above the heavens.

The second reminder from my reading of the Book of Malachi today comes from verse 1 of chapter 3 where Malachi prophesies that God will send a messenger to clear the way before Him, followed by another messenger called "the Lord whom ye seek", who is the "Messenger of the Covenant" whom the people have been longing for.

Malachi 3:1  NWB  Noah Webster Bible
Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, will suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he will come, saith the LORD of hosts.

About twelve years ago, I wrote my thoughts in two blog posts about my observations from Malachi chapter 3, links below: