Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Thou art merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love

Today I am reminded from Jonah chapter 4 of the steadfast love of the LORD our God who is merciful, gracious, and slow to anger.

I first came across such a description of our Heavenly Father one morning many years ago in 1978, when I was studying in my Upper Form Six, from Psalm 103 verses 8 to 14.

Jonah 4:2  NRSV  New Revised Standard Version
He prayed to the LORD and said, ‘O LORD! Is not this what I said while I was still in my own country? That is why I fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing.

Psalm 103:8 - 14  RSV  Revised Standard Version
8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
9 He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger for ever.
10 He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor requite us according to our iniquities.
11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
13 As a father pities his children, so the LORD pities those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, let us always abide in the steadfast love of God our Father in Heaven.