Wednesday, June 1, 2022

I will never leave thee nor forsake thee

This afternoon in my reading from the Epistle to the Hebrews, I am reminded to bravely free myself from the love of money and to be contented with what I already have.

Hebrews 13:5 - 6  WEB  World English Bible
5 Be free from the love of money, content with such things as you have, for he has said, 'I will in no way leave you, neither will I in any way forsake you.'
6 So that with good courage we say, 'The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What will man do to me?'

Hebrews 13:5,6 above quotes promises and prophecies from Joshua 1:5 and Psalm 118:6 (Psalm 117:6 LXX), as shown below:


Joshua 1:5  KJV  King James Version
There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Psalm 118:6  KJV  King James Version
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
Psalm 117:6  LXX  Septuagint Brenton
The Lord is my helper; and I will not fear what man shall do to me.

The connection between the call to be free from the love of money in Hebrews 13:5 and the promise by God never to forsake Joshua, along with the affirmation by the Psalmist that God is always on his side, is not very obvious. I wrote my thoughts on this "not so obvious" connection about thirteen years ago in my devotional blog, link below: