Thursday, September 2, 2021

The time of restoration is coming

Thursday 2021.09:02

This afternoon for my OT reading, I read Jeremiah chapters twenty-nine through thirty-one.

This portion of scripture contains a prophecy by Jeremiah ben Hilkiah about the restoration of the people of Israel and Judah from their exile back to the promised land. When this prophecy was given, King Jehoiachin ben Jehoiakim, the 19th king of Judah, along with the leaders and the skilled craftsmen of Judah, were already taken into exile by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylonia. Most of the treasures of the Temple of Jerusalem were also taken away, leaving behind some columns, a bronze tank, and some carts (Jeremiah 27:19,20; 2 Kings 23:10 - 16).

Also, during the reign of King Zedekiah ben Josiah, the 20th and last king of Judah, Jeremiah had written a letter of hope and encouragement to the people of Judah who were in exile in Babylonia , promising them that the LORD would restore them to their homeland (Jeremiah 29:1 - 23). This letter was brought to the exiles in Babylon by Elasah ben Shaphan and Gemariah ben Hilkiah who were being sent by King Zedekiah ben Josiah as messengers to King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylonia.

In Jeremiah chapter 30, we read of his prophecy about the promise of the LORD to restore Israel and Judah to their homeland under the rule of the Messiah, a descendant of David whom the LORD will enthrone as King.

Jeremiah 30:1 - 3 GNB
1The LORD, the God of Israel, 2said to me: “Write down in a book everything that I have told you, 3because the time is coming when I will restore my people, Israel and Judah. I will bring them back to the land that I gave their ancestors, and they will take possession of it again. I, the LORD, have spoken.”
Jeremiah 30:8 - 9 GNB
8The LORD Almighty says: “When that day comes, I will break the yoke that is round their necks and remove their chains, and they will no longer be the slaves of foreigners. 9Instead, they will serve me, the LORD their God, and a descendant of David, whom I will enthrone as king.
Jeremiah 30:21b GNB
They will be my people, and I will be their God. I, the LORD, have spoken.