Friday, September 3, 2021

The Branch of David: an unbreakable covenant

Friday 2021.09:03

Today for my OT reading, I read chapters thirty-two through thirty-five of the book of Jeremiah.

Chapter 32 of this portion contains an account of the prophet Jeremiah ben Hilkiah receiving the words of Yehovah that Jeremiah's cousin Hanamel would visit him (at that time Jeremiah was imprisoned in the courtyard of the royal palace by King Zedekiah, Jer 32:2, 3). Yehovah told Jeremiah that Hanamel would ask him to buy over Hanamel's field at his home town of Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. Eventually, the words of Yehovah came true.

I wrote briefly on this account in my devotional blog about eight years ago, in the following link:

Further on in Chapter 33 of today's reading, Jeremiah ben Hilkiah prophesied that a Branch of Righteousness ("a righteous descendant", Jer 33:15 GNB) will rule over the land. In those days, Jerusalem will be called "Yehovah our Righteousness". This is an unbreakable covenant that Yehovah had made with King David, comparable to the unbreakable covenant that God had made "with the day and with the night" that day and night will always arrive at their proper times. (Jeremiah 33:14 - 22)

Jeremiah 33:14 - 22 GNB
14The LORD said, “The time is coming when I will fulfil the promise that I made to the people of Israel and Judah. 15At that time I will choose as king a righteous descendant of David. That king will do what is right and just throughout the land. 16The people of Judah and of Jerusalem will be rescued and will live in safety. The city will be called ‘The LORD Our Salvation’. 17I, the LORD, promise that there will always be a descendant of David to be king of Israel 18and that there will always be priests from the tribe of Levi to serve me and to offer burnt offerings, grain offerings, and sacrifices.”

19The LORD said to me, 20“I have made a covenant with the day and with the night, so that they always come at their proper times; and that covenant can never be broken. 21In the same way I have made a covenant with my servant David that he would always have a descendant to be king, and I have made a covenant with the priests from the tribe of Levi that they would always serve me; and those covenants can never be broken. 22I will increase the number of descendants of my servant David and the number of priests from the tribe of Levi, so that it will be as impossible to count them as it is to count the stars in the sky or the grains of sand on the seashore.”