Saturday, July 30, 2022

The New Commandment: a final commandment.

Shabbat Shalom.

Today is the Seventh Day of the Biblical Week. Let us rest from all our work and keep the Fourth Commandment.

The new commandment given by the Lord Iesus in John 13:34, 35 was the Lord's final commandment to the disciples.

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 13:34 - 35  King James Version

This commandment was given after Judas Iscariot had left the supper, when Satan had entered him, upon being told by the Lord Iesus, "That thou doest, do quickly".

26 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

John 13:26 - 27  King James Version

The new commandment was given after the Lord had told His disciples that the time had come for the Son of Man to be glorified.

Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
John 13:31  King James Version

Our Lord knew that his hour had come, that Judas would betray him into the hands of his enemies. The Lord gave His new commandment to the disciples immediately after telling them that he would be with them only a little while more, that where he was going they couldn't go.

Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
John 13:33  King James Version

Finally, this commandment was given before the Lord delivered his long and final discourse to His disciples, recorded in John chapters 14 to 16, culminating in His High Priestly Intercessory Prayer in John chapter 17 and His arrest in John chapter 18.

At the end of His final discourse, the Lord told His disciples, "Behold, the hour cometh . . . "

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
John 16:32  King James Version

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, let us keep the new commandment, to love one another as the Lord has loved us. It was His final commandment before He left.