Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Are your eyes evil because mine are good?

Wednesday 05Jan2022 16:12 hrs GMT+8

In my New Testament from Matthew chapter 20 today, I am reminded of the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. In the parable, our Lord tells of how a householder promised to pay a shilling to each worker from a group he hired early one morning to work in his vineyard. Later in the morning, then at noon, and again in the evening, as late as five o'clock, he hired more workers that he came across in the market place. At the end of the day, he decided to pay all of them a shilling each, regardless of how many hours they have worked that day.

Naturally, the group of workers who agreed to work from early morning for a shilling became unhappy. "These who came last have done only one hour's work, and you have put them on a level with us who have worked the whole day and have borne the scorching heat." they complained to the householder (Matthew 20:12).

Matthew 20:13 - 16  KJV  King James Version
13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? 16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Matthew 20:13 - 16  WNT  Weymouth New Testament
13 ''My friend,' he answered to one of them, 'I am doing you no injustice. Did you not agree with me for a shilling?
14 Take your money and go. I choose to give this last comer just as much as I give you.
15 Have I not a right to do what I choose with my own property? Or are you envious because I am generous?' 16 'So the last shall be first, and the first last.'

The term "evil eye" is a Hebrew expression that means envious, or greedy, or jealous. Similarly, the term "good eye" is a Hebrew euphemism that means generous. When the householder asked the disgruntled workers, "Is thine eye evil because I am good" (Matthew 20:15 KJV), he actually meant "Are you envious (or greedy) because I am generous?". This is how Weymouth New Testament renders this verse in the passage above.

The following lists Matthew 20:15 from several other English translations for comparison.

  • NIV v15 Are you envious because I am generous?
  • NRSV v15 . . . are you envious because I am generous?
  • GNB v15 . . . are you jealous because I am generous?
  • ESV v15 Do you begrudge my generosity?
  • RSV v15 . . . do you begrudge my generosity?

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, let us endeavour to have good eyes. Let us beware of having evil eyes.