Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD Sabaoth

Wednesday 2021.08.18

This morning I reading chapters six through ten of the book of Isaiah in the Latter Prophets division of the Neviim. (See my blog page, The Law, the Prophets, and the Writings for details of the Hebrew divisions of scripture into Torah, Neviim, and Khetuvim.)

Isaiah chapter 6 in today's reading contains the account of Isaiah's vision of the LORD sitting on His throne, high and mighty, with the train of his robe filling the Temple. Above the throne were seraphim, six-winged creatures, flying around and calling out,

Isaiah 6:3 NIV
And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty*; the whole earth is full of his glory.”

* The LORD Almighty: in Hebrew, Yehovah Tsebaoth, or the LORD Sabaoth, or the LORD of Hosts

It was the year when the King of Judah, Uzziah ben Amaziah died at the end of his 52 years of reign. In that vision, the prophet Isaiah was called to a mission of prophesying to the Kingdom of Judah.

Isaiah 6:8 NIV
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”