Sunday, August 29, 2021

Anathoth, the hometown of Jeremiah

Sunday 2021.08.29

Today in my OT reading, I read Jeremiah chapters eleven through seventeen using the Good News Bible.

The prophet Jeremiah ben Hilkiah was a priest whose hometown was Anathoth in the land of the tribe of Benjamin. In Jeremiah 1:1, we read:

Jeremiah 1:1 GNB
This book is the account of what was said by Jeremiah son of Hilkiah, one of the priests of the town of Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin.

Sadly, the people of Anathoth did not like the prophecies that Jeremiah prophesied against them. They threatened to kill him if he continued proclaiming the words of the LORD to them.

Jeremiah 11:21 - 23 GNB
21 The people of Anathoth wanted me killed, and they told me that they would kill me if I kept on proclaiming the LORD's message.
22 So the LORD Almighty said, “I will punish them! Their young men will be killed in war; their children will die of starvation.
23 I have set a time for bringing disaster on the people of Anathoth, and when that time comes, none of them will survive.”