Saturday, July 4, 2020

If you will indeed hear my voice

Saturday 2020.07.04
Reading from Exodus Chapter 23

After charging them to hearken to His Angel, who bears the Name of YHWH, the LORD promised to make the children of Israel a peculiar people above all other nations on earth, and that Israel will be a royal priesthood and a holy nation to the LORD.

Exodus 23:22 LXX
If ye will indeed hear my voice, and if thou wilt do all the things I shall charge thee with, and keep my covenant, ye shall be to me a peculiar people above all nations, for the whole earth is mine; and ye shall be to me a royal priesthood, and a holy nation: these words shall ye speak to the children of Israel, If ye shall indeed hear my voice, and do all the things I shall tell thee, I will be an enemy to thine enemies, and an adversary to thine adversaries.

Note that the the words, "If ye will indeed hear my voice . . ." at the beginning of verse 22 is equivalent to "hearken to him, and disobey him not . . ." (referring to the Angel of the LORD) earlier in verse 21, another instance showing that the Angel of the LORD is an agent of the LORD himself, such that hearkening to the Angel is equivalent to listening to the voice of the LORD himself.

cf 1 Peter 2:9 JND
But *ye* are a chosen race, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a people for a possession, that ye might set forth the excellencies of him who has called you out of darkness to his wonderful light;