Monday, July 13, 2020

Face-to-face, yet not His face

Mon 2020.07.13
Reading from Exodus Chapter 33 LXX

This chapter of the book of Exodus is somewhat puzzling from a cursory reading of the expression "face to face" in verse 11, in contrast and apparent contradiction to "Thou shalt not be able to see My Face" in verse 20.

With a little pondering over the passage, however, one can gain a better understanding of how Moses met with the Lord at the door of the Tabernacle.

In verse 9, we notice that the pillar of cloud (the same pillar of cloud that accompanied the children of Israel since they departed Egypt and crossed the Red Sea) stood at the door of the Tabernacle. This means that the presence of God was in that cloud, and it was through that cloud that the Lord spoke to Moses, as it were, "face to face".

In other words, Moses did not see the Face of God literally. Instead God spoke to him, as one speaking to a friend (verse 11), through the pillar of cloud at the door of the Tabernacle.

It was because Moses did not see the face of God literally, that he asked God to reveal Himself to him in verse 13. ". . . that I may evidently see Thee", he said to God, to which God replied in verse 20, "Thou shalt not be able to see my face".

Exodus 33:9 - 11 LXX
9 And when Moses entered into the tabernacle, the pillar of the cloud descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and God talked to Moses.
10 And all the people saw the pillar of the cloud standing by the door of the tabernacle, and all the people stood and worshipped every one at the door of his tent.
11 And the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as if one should speak to his friend; and he retired into the camp: but his servant Joshua the son of Naue, a young man, departed not forth from the tabernacle.

Exodus 33:13 LXX
If then I have found favour in thy sight, reveal thyself to me, that I may evidently see thee; that I may find favour in thy sight, and that I may know that this great nation is thy people.

Exodus 33:18 - 23 LXX
18 And Moses says, Manifest thyself to me.
19 And God said, I will pass by before thee with my glory, and I will call by my name, the Lord, before thee; and ✡ I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and will have pity on whom I will have pity.
20 And God said, *Thou shalt not be able to see my face*; for no man shall see my face, and live.
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me: thou shalt stand upon the rock;
22 and when my glory shall pass by, then I will put thee into a hole of the rock; and I will cover thee over with my hand, until I shall have passed by.
23 And I will remove my hand, and *then shalt thou see my back parts*; but my face shall not appear to thee.