Sunday, August 20, 2023

He who endures to the end will be saved

Passage of the Day
5 Believe ye not in a companion, put not confidence in a familiar friend: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom. 6 For the son dishonoureth the father, the daughter riseth up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law: a man's enemies are the men of his own household. 7 But as for me, I will look unto Jehovah; I will wait for the °God of my salvation: my °God will hear me.
Micah 7:5 – 7  JN Darby's Translation
21 “Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child. Children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake, but he who endures to the end will be saved.
Matthew 10:21 - 22  World English Bible
34 “Don’t think that I came to send peace on the earth. I didn’t come to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man at odds against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 A man’s foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me.
Matthew 10:34 - 37  World English Bible

The Prophet Micah of Moresheth-Gath prophesied that a perplexing time will come in future when people become so wicked that one cannot even trust his own family and friends. In fact, a man's enemies will come from his own household (Micah 7:6)

This words are echoed in the teachings of our Lord Iesus in Matthew chapter 10, when the Lord warned his disciples about the difficult times that will have to pass before his Second Coming.

In fact, our Lord told the disciples that it was his very ministry among the children of Israel at that time that would trigger such disturbing conflicts, setting children against parents to the extent that a man's foes will be those of his won household (Matthew 10:36).

In saying these words, our Lord revealed to his disciples that the fulfilment of the prophecy in Micah chapter 7 was already happening.

It is in this context — that of the fulfilment of Micah's prophecy — that our Lord told his disciples these solemn words in Matthew 10:37 :

He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me;
and he who loves son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me.

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, we are living in difficult times. We are surrounded by wickedness. Many around us will hate us because of the Name of Iesus, even those of our own family. What shall we do? How shall we live through such times?

The prophet Micah has the answer, "But as for me, I will look unto Yehovah, I will wait for the God of my Salvation. My God will hear me" (Micah 7:7 JND).

Our Lord likewise told his disciples, " . . . he who endures to the end will be saved." (Matthew 10:22 WEB)

Let us continually look to Our Father in Heaven, the God of Salvation. He will hear us. Let us endure to the end. We will be saved.


The following are links to several related blog posts on the Lord's teaching about loving our Lord more than our family, that I have written between the years 2010 and 2019 —