Friday, February 11, 2022

Until we are parted by death

Friday 11Feb2022

In Ruth chapter 1 from today's Old Testament portion, I noticed that Ruth, upon being urged by her mother-in-law Naomi to go back to her own parents' home, replied her mother-in-law, " . . . where you die, I will die" and that nothing except death would part them.

Ruth 1:16 - 17  ESV  English Standard Version
16 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”

This is the first time I come across a person saying "Til death do us part" in the Bible, and not in a marriage vow.

Later in Ruth chapter 2, Ruth's relative Boaz described her life-long decision to remain with Naomi, to be part of the people of Israel, as akin to taking refuge under the wings of YHWH, the God of Israel.

Ruth 2:12  ESV
The LORD repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!

Brothers and Sisters in the Lord Iesus the Anointed One, have you made the same life-long decision that Ruth made? Have we decided to take refuge under the wings of the LORD our God? Have we decided to stay in fellowship with the assembly of God's children in this world, until death do us part?