Sunday, February 13, 2022

David fought without sword and without shield

Sunday 13Feb2022

Only a boy named David
Only a rippling brook
Only a boy named David
Five little stones he took . . .

I learnt the song above when I was in Standard Four in 1970 in Methodist Boys' Primary School, Davidson Road, Kuala Lumpur. It was taught to us by our Headmaster during weekly chapel service.

This morning as I read First Samuel chapter 17, this little song came back to mind and brought back images of a boy swinging a stone at a giant's forehead.

From this morning's reading, my attention was drawn towards David's words in verse 37, telling King Saul that the LORD had saved him from lions and bears which he had killed with his bare hands, and that the LORD would likewise save him from Goliath the Philistine giant.

1 Samuel 17:34 - 37  GNB  Good News Bible
34“Your Majesty,” David said, “I take care of my father's sheep. Whenever a lion or a bear carries off a lamb, 35I go after it, attack it, and rescue the lamb. And if the lion or bear turns on me, I grab it by the throat and beat it to death. 36I have killed lions and bears, and I will do the same to this heathen Philistine, who has defied the army of the living God. 37The LORD has saved me from lions and bears; he will save me from this Philistine.”

Eventually, when David was face to face with Goliath on the battleground, he told Goliath these words:

1 Samuel 17:45 - 47  GNB
45David answered, “You are coming against me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the Israelite armies, which you have defied. 46This very day the LORD will put you in my power; I will defeat you and cut off your head. And I will give the bodies of the Philistine soldiers to the birds and animals to eat. Then the whole world will know that Israel has a God, 47and everyone here will see that the LORD does not need swords or spears to save his people. He is victorious in battle, and he will put all of you in our power.”

In the end, David, using only a sling and stone, defeated the giant who was armed with sword, spear and javelin. David fought without sword and without shield.

He fought in the Name of YeHoVaH Almighty!