Thursday, February 17, 2022

Law of God, Law of Sin, Law of the Spirit, revisited

Thursday 17Feb2022

This afternoon in my New Testament reading, I am reminded of the teaching of Three Spiritual Laws in chapters 7 and 8 of the Epistle to the Romans.

They are:

  • The Law of God,
  • The Law of Sin, and
  • The Law of the Spirit

The following verses taken from Romans 7 and 8 mentions the three laws that govern our lives with respect to sin and righteousness.

Romans 7:22  KJV  King James Version
For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Romans 7:22  KJV  Romans 7:23 KJV
But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Romans 8:1 - 2  KJV
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:3b - 4  KJV
3 . . . God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

About nineteen years ago, back in March 2003, and again in April 2005, I preached sermons in my church on my observations of the Three Spiritual Laws above. Last August I posted my sermon notes, with some additional elaborations, on my devotional blog, link below:

Brothers and Sisters in the Lord Iesus, let us walk not after the desires of the flesh. Let us instead walk after the Spirit, the powerful Presence of God which is poured out on us by our Lord. This is the Law of the Spirit. In this way, we are no longer bound by the Law of Sin, and we can fulfill the righteous requirements of the Law of God.