Wednesday, July 5, 2023

In His Name the Gentiles will hope

1The LORD says,
Here is my servant, whom I strengthen
the one I have chosen, with whom I am pleased.
I have filled him with my Spirit,
and he will bring justice to every nation.
2He will not shout or raise his voice
or make loud speeches in the streets.
3He will not break off a bent reed
or put out a flickering lamp.
He will bring lasting justice to all.
4He will not lose hope or courage;
he will establish justice on the earth.
Distant lands eagerly wait for his teaching.”

5God created the heavens and stretched them out;
he fashioned the earth and all that lives there;
he gave life and breath to all its people.
And now the LORD God says to his servant,
6“I, the LORD, have called you and given you power
to see that justice is done on earth.
Through you I will make a covenant with all peoples;
through you I will bring light to the nations.
7You will open the eyes of the blind
and set free those who sit in dark prisons.

Isaiah 42:1 – 4; 5 – 7  Good News Bible
1 Jacob is *my servant, I will help him: Israel is my chosen, my soul has accepted him; I have put my Spirit upon him; he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. 2 He shall not cry, nor lift up his voice, nor shall his voice be heard without. 3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench; but he shall bring forth judgment to truth. 4 He shall shine out, and shall not be †discouraged, until he have set judgment on the earth: and in his name shall the Gentiles trust.
Esaias 42: 1 – 4  Septuagint Brenton
15 Jesus, perceiving that, withdrew from there. Great multitudes followed him; and he healed them all,
16 and charged them that they should not make him known:
17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through Isaiah the prophet, saying,
18 'Behold, my servant whom I have chosen; My beloved in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit on him,
He will declare judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He will not strive, nor shout; Neither will anyone hear his voice in the streets.
20 He won't break a bruised reed, He won't quench a smoking flax, Until he sends forth judgment to victory.
21 In his name, the Gentiles will hope.'

Matthew 12:15 – 21  World English Bible

A long time ago, the prophet Isaiah had prophesied that the Anointed One, the Servant of God, will be filled with the Spirit of God and will come to bring justice to all Gentile nations.

In the LXX, Isaiah (Esaias) 42:4b records Isaiah's prophecy, " . . . in his name shall the Gentiles trust".

This is quoted in Matthew 12:21, "in his name, the Gentiles will hope".

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, let us always put our trust and hope in Iesus our Lord, the Anointed One of God.


Back in 2013, I wrote my thoughts, based on the prophecy of Amos 9:11,12 quoted in Acts chapter 15, in a post entitled, "Gentiles who bear the Name of Yehovah" (link below).

In February last year, I wrote another two posts, one about how the Holy Spirit was first poured on the Gentiles in the house of Cornelius the Centurion in the city of Caesarea, and another about God waiting until the full number of Gentiles come into His Kingdom before the children of Israel is saved (all links below).