Thursday, March 10, 2022

Faith without works is dead

Thursday 10Mar2022


Today in my New Testament reading, I am confronted with an assertion in James chapter 2 about a believer's faith and works. It is a teaching, an undeniable truth, that is seldom taught in the Church.

In this chapter, the Apostle James asks in verse 14, "

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?"

He goes on to point out that if any of us sees a brother or a sister without clothes or without food, and if we only say,

"Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled . . ."

without doing anything for that brother or sister, then our faith is dead.

In verses 17 to 24, the apostle has this to say:

James 2:17, 18, 24  KJV  King James Version
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

This passage in James chapter 2 reminds us of the teaching of our Lord Iesus in Matthew chapter 5:

Matthew 5:16  KJV  King James Version
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Brothers and Sisters in the Anonted One, today we see that our faith must be proven by our works. Faith without works is dead. Let us live our lives before all men in this world such that they can see our good works and so glorify God our Father in Heaven.