Monday, February 15, 2021

The meaning of asking in Iesou's Name

Tuesday 2021.02.02
Reading from John Chapter 14 ASV

The meaning of asking in the Name of Iesous.

In John 14:13, the Lord Iesou told his disciples that whatever they would ask in Iesou's name would be done. What does asking in Iesou's Name mean?

John 14:12 - 14 ASV
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall *ask in my name*, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall *ask anything in my name*, that will I do.

We can understand this better by looking at an example from the Old Testament.

In 1 Samuel 25:1 - 11, we read that David sent ten of his men to Nabal, a wealthy owner of large flocks of sheep and goats, to ask for food supplies. The ten men were ordered to greet Nabal "in David's name" (verse 5). However, Nabal, being an evil man, had no respect for the name of David son of Jesse and refused to give any bread, water or meat to David's men.

We can learn from this passage that when the ten men asked Nabal for food in their master's name, were asking by their master's authority. Their request for supplies was equivalent to David's request.

Similarly, we can think of asking our Heavenly Father for supplies in our Master's Name, the Name of Iesou. When we go to the Father in the Lord Iesou's Name, we go in the authority of our Master. Our supplication is equivalent to our Master's supplication. In John 14:14, the Lord Iesou told his disciples that if they would ask anything in His Name, "that will I do".

1 Samuel 23:1 - 11 JND
1 And Samuel died; and all Israel were gathered together, and lamented him; and they buried him in his house at Ramah. And David arose and went down to the wilderness of Paran.
2 And there was a man at Maon, whose business was at Carmel; and the man was very great, and he had three thousand sheep and a thousand goats; and he was shearing his sheep at Carmel.
3 And the name of the man was Nabal, and the name of his wife Abigail; and the woman was of good understanding, and of a beautiful countenance; but the man was churlish and evil in his doings; and he was a Calebite.
4 And David heard in the wilderness that Nabal was shearing his sheep.
5 Then David sent out ten young men; and David said to the young men, Go up to Carmel, and go to Nabal, and greet him *in my name*.
6 And thus shall ye say: Long life to thee! and peace be to thee, and peace be to thy house, and peace be to all that thou hast!
7 And now I have heard that thou hast shearers; now thy shepherds who were with us, we hurt them not, neither was there aught missed by them, all the while they were in Carmel.
8 Ask thy young men, and they will tell thee. Therefore let the young men find favour in thine eyes; for we come in a good day: give, I pray thee, what thy hand may find to thy servants, and to thy son David.
9 And David`s young men came, and spoke to Nabal according to all those words *in the name of David*, and ceased.
10 And Nabal answered David`s servants and said, Who is David? and who is the son of Jesse? there are many servants now-a-days that break away every man from his master.
11 And shall I take my bread, and my water, and my flesh which I have killed for my shearers, and give it to men whom I know not whence they are?