Monday, May 18, 2020

Cain was groaning and trembling upon the earth

Reading from the Septuagint.
Genesis 4: 12-14

LXX Cain became a "groaning and trembling" man after murdering his brother Abel (instead of "a  fugitive and vagabond")

"When thou tillest the earth, then it shall not continue to give its strength to thee: thou shalt be groaning and trembling on the earth. And Cain said to the Lord God, My crime is too great for me to be forgiven. If thou castest me out this day from the face of the earth, and I shall be hidden from thy presence, and I shall be groaning and trembling upon the earth, then it will be that any one that finds me shall slay me."

Verses 12 and 14 of Genesis 4 is typically translated as "vagrant and wanderer" (NASB), "fugitive and vagabond" (NKJV),  or "fugitive and a wanderer" (RSV) on the earth.

Looking these verses in the LXX gives us a new understanding of the condition that Cain turned into after he murdered his brother Abel. He was groaning in guilt and trembling in fear. He wasn't his usual self anymore. One can say he was no longer an ordinary person. 

Perhaps his very appearance had changed. He was a trembling man. And that could explain why any one who saw him would want to slay him.