Monday, February 3, 2014

Questions for Critics of Yeshua the Messiah

Reading from Psalm 89 (NASB, with LXX Brenton)
Psalm 89:3-4 NASB
3 I have made a covenant with My chosen;
I have sworn to David My servant,
4 I will establish your seed forever
And build up your throne to all generations.
Psalm 89:3,4 LXX
3 I made a covenant with my chosen ones, I sware unto David my servant.
4 I will establish thy seed for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations.
Verses 3 and 4 the above psalm by Ethan the Ezrahite says God has promised that a descendant of David will always be king and that David's dynasty (seed) will be preserved forever. (The term "dynasty" is used in the GNT).

Question 1: Where is this everlasting seed today?

For the last 2,000 years why was there no king over Israel? Even after the nation of Israel was formed in 1948, why wasn't David's dynasty restored? And why is Israel today governed by a secular government instead of one that governs according to the Torah of Moshe?

Next, in Psalm 89: 20 - 25, we read that King David was supposed to be anointed by God and that God would empower him to defeat all his enemies, extending his kingdom from the Mediterranean Sea to the Euphrates River.(see GNT version)
Psalm 89: 20-25 NASB
20 “I have found David My servant; With My holy oil I have anointed him,
21 With whom My hand will be established; My arm also will strengthen him.
22 “The enemy will not deceive him, Nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 “But I shall crush his adversaries before him, And strike those who hate him.
24 “My faithfulness and My lovingkindness will be with him, And in My name his horn will be exalted.
25 “I shall also set his hand on the sea And his right hand on the rivers.
Psalm 89:20-25 LXX
20 I have found David my servant; I have anointed him by my holy mercy.
21 For my hand shall support him; and mine arm shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall have no advantage against him; and the son of transgression shall not hurt him again.
23 And I will hew down his foes before him, and put to flight those that hate him.
24 But my truth and my mercy shall be with him; and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
25 And I will set his hand in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
Question 2: Where is this anointed king today?

Did King David become that all-powerful invincible King promised in the psalm above? Was David himself really that anointed, chosen One?

Furthermore, it is written in Psalm 89: 26 - 29 that God will make King David his first-born son the greatest of all kings.
Psalm 89:26-29NASB
26 “He will cry to Me, ‘You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.’
27 “I also shall make him My firstborn, The highest of the kings of the earth.
28 “My lovingkindness I will keep for him forever, And My covenant shall be confirmed to him.
29 “So I will establish his descendants forever And his throne as the days of heaven.
Psalm 89:26-29LXX
26 He shall call upon me, saying, Thou art my Father, my God, and the helper of my salvation.
27 And I will make him my first-born, higher than the kings of the earth.
28 I will keep my mercy for him for ever, and my covenant shall be firm with him.
29 And I will establish his seed for ever and ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
Verse 29 reiterates the assertion made earlier in verse 4, that David's seed and his throne would be as permanent as the days of heaven, being established forever.

Question 3: Did David's seed persist?

King David had only one son who reigned after him, Solomon, who ruled over all 12 tribes of Israel for only a brief 40 years. (2 Chronicles 9:30-31). No sooner had Solomon's son Rehoboam ascended to the throne that Jeroboam ben Nebat led the 10 northern tribes to break away as "Israel", leaving Rehoboam with only the southern territory of Judah.

2 Chronicles 10:19 puts it alarming in a nutshell, "So Israel has been in rebellion against the house of David to this day."!

If David's descendant Rehoboam ben Solomon could not even hold dominion over the northern 10 tribes of Israel, how then can one call him him the first-born son, the greatest of all kings? (Psalm 89:26-29)

And how can we claim that King David has vanquished all his enemies? (Psalm 89:20-25)

Likewise, Israel today can't even take back control over the whole city of Jerusalem for herself, how can we say that King David has set his hand in the sea and his right hand in the river, alluding to his kingdom stretching from the Mediterranean Sea to the Euphrates River?

Where is David's kingdom today? And who is his seed? The answer to these questions can be found in the testimony of the Apostle Peter to a large audience of Jews on the Day of Pentecost, recorded in Acts 2:29-36. I shall explore this answer in my next post.