Sunday, May 3, 2009

Encouraged, when we know each other's state

Sun 03May2009, Philippians 2: 19 - 30 NKJV

But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. v19

Yesterday was a day of joy and encouragement.  My wife Chooy Lin and I met with many of the brothers and sisters whom we fellowshipped with together back in the late 70s and early 80s in the MYF, under the teaching and care of our faithful, diligent and exemplary missionary couple John and Lori Robb.

The occasion where we were all reunited was the 25th Wedding Anniversary Celebration of one of our dear brothers, Patrick and his wife Germaine , a memorable and meaningful service conducted in the River of Life Sanctuary in Segambut, KL.  I must say I was somewhat shy and tongue-tied when my wife and I greeted Patrick and Germaine at the door at lunch time, and so too, when we said good-bye to both of them at the end.  Perhaps, after such a long separation, it's the awe of meeting in person this tall, dark and handsome brother with high nose and deep-set eyes, resembling an Asian version of a James Bond star.  And initially, we couldn't recognise Germaine, who has grown noticeably slim and very graceful indeed after all these years!

And so many of the MYF'ers were there.  Our beloved brother Pooi Han was one of the first people to walk over to us, and he greeted us heartily.  I haven't met him since 1983!  In my busyness in looking out for the others, I didn't manage to talk very much with him and I hope to meet up with him again soon for a good chat.

Likewise when Yoke Har came out of her way to greet us in the hallway, I was at a loss on what to ask her. The usual "How have you been getting on all these years?" eluded me.  And I forgot to ask about her church, or her family.  I must make up for it the next time, I guess.

Finally, we spent some good time of fellowship with David and Dorcas, Bob and Li Yuen (whom I mistook for another person at one stage), Lai Lin, Yoke Har, Francis Chin, who remembered me well for having often "disturbed" him whenever he worked in the church, and also Alex and wife and his pretty daughter.  Sorry, for having difficulties recalling who Alex was, although he looked very  familiar indeed.  And likewise also Rocky (got the name right, I hope).


[The photo above taken with kind help from Kim Fah, using David's camera, and conveyed by kindness from Patrick, added Sun, 3May09 3 pm]

Well, there was some consolation though, for I was not the only person who failed to remember some people.  David Lim, in his usual cheerful disposition, put his hand on my shoulder, smiling at me, told me he couldn't remember when I was together with them in the MYF.  Eventually, with further elaborations about some of the events when were present together, he recalled who I was, including some help from those crooked front teeth of mine!

Another very pleasant surprise, which deserves a separate page of testimony on its own, was meeting with a dear brother from Serdang Baru AOG, Hee Kim Fah: a school mate from MBSKL back in the 70s, who let me park my bicyle at his house many times when I went home from campus on holidays, and a kind brother who rode his old trusty Suzuki motorbike to visit me and cheered me up when I was ill in hospital in my third year in UPM, mid 1981. God has blessed him indeed: he is CEO of a multinational company now!

As I am writing these words, I am reminded of the words of the apostle Paul in Philippians 2: 19, quoted above.  Yesterday's reunion gave me a better understanding of how Paul felt when he was separated from the Philippian brethren. He had to send his faithful helper, Timothy, to see them and to bring back news about "the state" they were in.  As for all of us MYFers yesterday,  we were blessed by the Lord having the opportunity to meet one another face-to-face, and I believe that we were mutually encouraged when we got to know the state each of us were in, after having been separated for a couple of decades.  I think the apostle Paul was likewise trusting the Lord to meet the Philippians face-to-face and have the same mutual encouragement as ours too.

But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly. v24

So we shall look forward to meet those of you who'll be coming to Kampar on the first weekend of June for your church camp, albeit briefly again, because we've been invited to join another church camp in Cameron Highlands that same week.  After that we hope to meet more people when John Robb visits again towards the end of the year to preach at Yoke Har's church, and possibly to have fellowship at David's home again(?).  Like Epaphroditus, another dear brother to the apostle Paul, we shall long to meet another again.

Yet I considered it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker, and fellow soldier, but your messenger and the one who ministered to my need; since he was longing for you all, and was distressed because you had heard that he was sick. v25,26

So, to all our dear lost and found brothers and sisters, we salute you all for having remained faithful in the Lord all these thirty years, particularly Patrick and David Lim who serve full-time in the ministry of the Gospel of Christ.  We thank Patrick and Germaine for their diligence and patience in putting up the event, and also for their dear children's candid and enlightening presentations.  Please forgive us for any shortcomings in our manners, our words or our lack of thoughtfulness towards anybody, and also for having lost our way and arriving late, in that brief but thoroughly pleasant and refreshing reunion yesterday afternoon.

Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem; because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me. v30

Dear brethren, let us receive one another with all gladness and learn to hold each other in high esteem.  May God Bless You all.