Thursday, April 28, 2022

In these things I delight, says the LORD

From chapter 9 of Jeremiah today, I am reminded of a passage which I had memorised before many years ago. Verses 23 and 24 record for us the word of the LORD telling His children not to boast in their own wisdom, might, nor riches. Instead, they should boast in their understanding and knowledge of the steadfast love, justice and righteousness of the LORD.

". . . in these things I delight" the LORD says in verse 24.

Jeremiah 9:23 - 24  ESV  English Standard Version
23 Thus says the LORD: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practises steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.”

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One, let us refrain from boasting in our wisdom, our might, and our wealth. Let us instead "boast" of our knowledge of our God and in the things that He delights.