Tuesday, December 28, 2021

I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End

Tuesday 28Dec2021

In today's New Testament reading, I come across two passages containing the words of God Almighty saying, "I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end".

In Revelation chapter 21, these words are attributed to the one "who was seated on the throne" (Rev 21:5 - 8).

Revelation 21:5 - 8  ESV  English Standard Version
5And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
6And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.
7The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.
8But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.”

Later in Revelation chapter 22, similar words, "I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end" are conveyed by the angel who was speaking to the Apostle John, and these words are attributed to one who is "coming soon" and who will "repay each one for what he has done", clearly referring to the rewards and punishments from God Almighty described earlier in Rev 21:5 - 8 above.

Revelation 22:12 - 15  ESV
12“Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.
13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
15Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practises falsehood.

Following this, the angel who was speaking to John conveyed the words of our Lord Iesus in Rev 22:16, describing himself as "the root and the descendant of David" and "the bright morning star".

Revelation 22:16  ESV
16“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

Over the past seven years, I have written short notes on the worship of God who sits on the throne, and distinguishing the titles given to God from those given to the Lord Iesus in various chapters of the book of Revelation. See links given below.