Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lift Jesus higher?

Last week, the song leader in church led the congregation to sing exuberantly, clapping, tapping and swaying along:
"Lift Jesus higher!
Lift Jesus higher!
Lift him up for the world to see!"
What did the Lord Jesus mean when he said "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (John12:32,33)? Is it appropriate to sing such a song?

I couldn't join in the lusty and vibrant singing but instead stood quietly with sadness, with regret and with some disgust. I was disheartened.

This is because the expression "to be lifted up" as used in the NT times was a common way to refer to being crucified, i.e. to be lifted and hung high up on a stake / cross.

This expression is used at least three times in the Gospel according to John,

John 3:14, 15 NKJV
(Jesus speaking to Nicodemus, referring to Numbers 21:9)
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 8:28 NKJV
(Jesus replying the Pharisees)
When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself, but as My Father taught me, I speak these things.

John 12:32,33 NKJV
(Jesus speaking in public)
". . . And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to myself." This He said, signifying by what death He would die.

If only the song-leader and the congregation realised this morning the meaning of "lifted up", if only they knew the solemn situation conveyed by and signified by this expression, yes, if only they knew. Then they wouldn't be tapping their feet, swaying their bodies and clapping hands to the catchy tune and lyrics of this song.

For in doing so, the members of the congregation were calling on one another to crucify the Anointed One all over again on an even higher stake or cross - higher and higher!

What the congregation thought was a powerful proclamation of Jesus the Christ turned out actually to be a call for painful punishment of Jesus all over again.

Brothers and Sisters in the Anointed One. Let us not call one another to crucify our Master all over again. Instead, let us call one another to a life of obedience to the teachings of our Master.

Galatians 3:27 NASB
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.