Sunday, March 17, 2013

Do you really know him?

Today is the 6th day of the 1st month in the biblical calendar. While sitting in the church hall this morning, I was led to read chapters 7 and 8 of the Gospel according to John and my attention was drawn to the following passages:

John 7: 25-29, cf John 8: 14, 16, 18, 26-28.

The people of Jerusalem are puzzled. They know that this man Yeshua of Nazareth is a wanted man. The religious leaders want to get him executed for his alleged heresies and blasphemies. Yet, they see this man Yeshua preaching boldly in public every day. How come he is not arrested yet? Is he really the Messiah whom they are looking forward to? Is he the promised one, prophesied in the scriptures many years ago?

"No, he can't be", they remarked.

For the ancient scripture tells them that no one will know where the Messiah comes from. This man Yeshua can't be that promised Messiah because they know where he comes from. They all know he comes from Nazareth, of the household of Yosef and Miriam.

The Master Yeshua replies them,

"Do you really know me? Do you know where I come from?"

Yeshua goes on to elaborate:
- that he didn't come on his own authority,
- that God has sent him, and God is faithful,
- that the people of Jerusalem do not know God, but he, Yeshua, knows Him
- that he has come from God and
- that, he reiterated, God has sent him. (John 7:28-29)

Compare the Master's words above with further statements he made in the next chapter (all quotations from the GNT):

John 8:14
I know where I came from and where I am going. You do not know.

John 8:16
the Father who sent me is with me.

John 8:18
I am not alone - the Father who sent me also testifies on my behalf.

John 8:26
the One who sent me is truthful and I tell the world only what I have heard from Him.

Of most significance are his words in John 8:27 - 28, where he tells his audience that,

- they do not understand that he was talking about the Father,
- that when he is "lifted up" (euphemism for being crucified), they will know who  he is,
- that they will know he does nothing on his own authority,
- that he says only what God has instructed him to say.

Summary:
The people of Jerusalem did not know two significant facts about Yeshua of Nazareth:

- they did not know where he came from,
- they did not know who he was talking about.

Christian brothers and sisters, Do we really know our Master? Do we know where he came from?

Let us ponder over the accounts of Yeshua Messiah (Iesous Christos) and remind ourselves, that our Master the Anointed One came from God, and that he talked about God.

Let us fix our hope on God.

1 Peter 1:21 GNT
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from death and gave him glory; and so your faith and hope are fixed on God.