Monday, March 29, 2010

Psalm 23 - A Literal Translation

Monday, 29March2010Psalm 23:1-6, Young's Literal Translation.

In the year 1862, Robert Young translated the Bible into English by following the original Hebrew and Greek very strictly. In the preface to his Second Edition, he wrote,
"If a translation gives a present tense when the original gives a past, or a past when it has a present; a perfect for a future, or a future for a perfect; an a for a the, or a the for an a; an imperative for a subjunctive, or a subjunctive for an imperative; a verb for a noun, or a noun for a verb, it is clear that verbal inspiration is as much overlooked as if it had no existence. THE WORD OF GOD IS MADE VOID BY THE TRADITIONS OF MEN. [Emphases in original.]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_Literal_Translation (Accessed 29/3/10)

I have reproduced Psalm 23 below from Young's Literal Translation.

However, in this post I have used YHWH as the name of our God in place of Jehovah which was originally used in Young's version.

---------------------------------------------


A Psalm of David.

YHWH [is] my shepherd, I do not lack,

In pastures of tender grass He causeth me to lie down,

By quiet waters He doth lead me.

My soul He refresheth,

He leadeth me in paths of righteousness, For His name's sake,

Also -- when I walk in a valley of death-shade, I fear no evil, for Thou [art] with me,

Thy rod and Thy staff -- they comfort me.

Thou arrangest before me a table, Over-against my adversaries,

Thou hast anointed with oil my head, My cup is full!

Only -- goodness and kindness pursue me, All the days of my life,

And my dwelling [is] in the house of YHWH, For a length of days!---------------------------------------------

Dear Believer, let us put our trust in our God YHWH through his Only Begotten Son, our Lord Yeshua the Anointed One!